Thursday, February 12, 2009
before and after--beautiful either way!
My sweet baby girl is 14. Hope has always liked her curls but has really wished that she could have straight hair for just a little while. Last year, we tried a straightening iron and just got wavy frizz. For an early valentine's day present, I bought a special blow dryer and straightening serum to try and straighten her hair again. We did it! Seeing her made me cry. She looks so grown up. She is such a sweet girl and she asks for so little. I had offered to bring her to get her hair straightened professionally but she has always said no because she didn't want us to spend that much money on her hair. It is such a joy to give such a special gift to her that has brought her such joy. Happy Valentine's Day my sweet Hope.
at 10:17 PM
Tyler's bedroom floor after ripping out the soaking carpet
The "pond" is a new addition to our yard. This explains our basement flooding issue..
I am finding my way to being thankful in all circumstances because of the reminders I am given every day:
- When the kids are sick, I am thankful for the days when they are well.
- When the basement is flooded, I am reminded of the home I have that so beautifully meets the needs of our family.
- When the finances are tight, I am reminded that God will provide all that we need. He will use this to help us prioritize our life and what is ultimately important to us.
- When I am preparing for another surgery on Monday, I am reminded of the health that allows me to care for my children.
- When the washing machine breaks, I am humbled to think of the luxuries we take for granted in America. We have all we need and so much more. I am driven to give and to not be a part of this crazy culture of abundance.
- When the kids are driving me crazy, I am reminded of those who would give anything to have a child of their own. Those waiting to adopt and those who are single and have such a desire to be married and start a family.
- When the clouds fill the sky, the sunshine only seems more bright and beautiful when it appears.
- When we are struggling to build the communication of our non verbal children, I am so thankful for those in our lives who have the expertise and love to help us find our way through the confusing world of communication devices and helping our children learn in the ways that they learn best. We have so many people- PCA's, therapists, teachers, administrators that have teamed together to help our children--I am so thankful for them.
- When I struggle to know how to support a friend who has lost a child through cancer or a disabling condition, I am reminded of our swet Evan and the gift his life was to us..no matter how short. I am thankful that we were allowed to care for him for the time that we did. What a privelege it was to be asked by God to walk him home to Jesus. Each time I read a carinbrdge entry or an obituary of a child, my heart aches with such deep pain because I have been there and am walking along that road of uncertainty each day. I am thankful for the little boy sitting on my lap right now. Each day with Elijah is a day to celebrate. I have so much to be thankful for.
When I feel those moments of desperation..those moments of being overwhelmed and under equipped...I am so thankful that God reminds me each day that His faithfulness is the same, yesterday, today and forever. When I need His calming touch, He scoops me up and reminds me that He is big enough, and loving enough, to handle all that is going on in our lives. He has chosen to use those times of adversity to teach me so much...I thank God for the tough times because through it all, I truly have been given a thankful heart.
just another note...all day after I wrote this post, I have been thinking about what it really means to be thankful. I think that feeling deep gratitude is just the beginning...without action that comes out of a grateful heart, it is just words that don't mean much. I long to deeping my commitment to "the least of these" and serve others with everything I've got to give. I want to live with a purpose so beyond myself. This is my mission and my hearts desire..
at 8:00 AM