When we were just beginning this journey with our medical kids 18 years ago, I wasn't very connected with other families yet. I wanted to know which doctors were the best and I looked forward to reading the local Minnesota magazine's TOP doctors list that was published once a year. This survey asked other Doctors who they would bring their child to if they needed a specialist. I wanted to know who was respected among their peers and often this was the only way I was getting that kind of input. I would check to make sure my doctors were on it and would use it to try a new doctor if needed. (I have never bought the magazine--who needs subscriptions to magazines when you spend lots of time in waiting rooms!)
So, I decided to list my pediatric doctors top 10 list (in no particular order)
Drum Roll please....
1. Dr. Michelle Kennedy, Pediatric Gastroenterologist.
She is probably the reason why we have adopted 4 kids with G tubes! We know we can go to her to help us with all of our gastroenterology needs. She is the best.
2. Dr. John McNamara and Doctor, Pulmonology
He's easy to talk to and incredibly knowledgeable.
3. Dr. Stephen Kurachek, Pulmonology
If you are looking for some one to figure out a complex issue with your child, he is the one!
4. Dr. Nancy Kammer, Gillette specialty pediatrics
If you need some one to coordinate care for a child with lots of orthopedic, gastric, developmental needs, Dr. Kammer is excellent. She also never forgets a thing!
5. Dr. Steven Marker pediatric infectious disease, spina bifida clinic
Comfort food at it's finest..He listens to parents, respects their opinion and can take on any challenging child. Easy to get ahold of when you need him!
6. Dr. Shani Norberg neurology (Gillette Children's)
Dr. Norberg is such a compassionate and knowledgeable neurologist.
7. Dr. Janelle Keplinger pediatrician (Riverway Clinic, Anoka)
Dr. Keplinger has been the pediatrician for all 11 of our kids. That alone, has to put her on the most dedicated doctors list! She is wonderful and we love her!
8. Dr. Mahmoud Nagib neurosurgeon
If you have to trust some one with your child's brain, he is the guy.
9. Dr. Wood and Dr. Graupman neurosurgeon and cranial facial surgeon
They are do amazing work and have great bedside manner as well.
10. Dr. Judson Reaney, Alexander Center for Behavior Developmental Pediatrician
Dr. Reaney has followed and managed our kids who have meds for ADHD, anxiety, and other psychiatric issues. He is thorough and knowledgeable and the clinic is very prompt in getting back to us immediately. We have never had to wait long to here back from someone at the clinic when we needed help..and we have been seen at the clinic for 12 years.
11.Dr. Stephen England, Orthopedist (Gillette Children's)
We love 'em!
12. Dr. Nancy Mendelsohn geneticist
She is going to figure out Maisy's syndrome..If any one can, it will be her.
13. Dr. P (Parvataneni), Pediatric Ophthalmology (Maple Grove)
14. Dr. Teresa Reid, Pain and Palliative Care Team, Minneapolis Children's
If you are ever in need of the team, you are obviously in a rough place in your life. If you want a doctor who will listen, respect the decisions that you make for your child and show genuine concern for your family, I think you will love her.
15. Dr. Steven Janousek, pediatric neurologist, Noran Clinic, Mpls Children's. He was there the day that McKenna was born 18 years ago, and he is Isaac's neurologist today. He tells it like it is, he knows what he is doing and he isn't afraid to say when he doesn't.
It turned into a top 15 list. I have hesitated to list my favorites because I am sure I would miss others that are equally as good that we have seen. But, these are the top 14 that come to mind right away. Unless listed otherwise, the doctors practice at Minneapolis Children's Hospital--our preferred hospital as well. We have probably seen over 100 pediatric docs over the years. And as you know, this is just our opinion....