- What I thought was growing pains for Brennan turned out to be Osgood Schlatter syndrome. With no physical exertion for two weeks, Rest, Ice, Compressions, and Elevation (R.I.C.E.)...he should be better soon. Except that he isn't one to Rest, Ice, use compressions or elevate anything..
- What we live with day in and day out---Fetal Alcohol Syndrome--Jordan's diagnosis reconfirmed 10 years later..it didn't go away, it wasn't just in our heads, it is real. It is devastating. It is lifelong... and it is not going away. There were no surprises at his re-eval this week, but hearing the words again tear open the wound that had scabbed over years ago.
- As the geneticist searches for the unifying diagnosis that can explain Maisy and the unknown syndrome that has impacted her life so profoundly. Possibly Opitz G-BBB syndrome but that almost always occurs in boys. We may never know, but this doctor doesn't plan on stopping to look for what it is that Maisy has.
- Schwachman Diamond Syndrome...the mother of all the syndromes that seems to be attempting to consume our energy these days. A low grade temp in Elijah triggers a sequence of calls to the doctors, tests and more antibiotics for him. So quickly something simple can turn into something life threatening..it takes work to keep ahead of the infections.
Yes, it has been a busy week with syndromes..
- And then the "I think I am going to suffocate under the weight of all these syndromes" syndrome. I almost lost my focus and contracted this condition somewhere between doctors visits and pharmacy pick ups.
Syndromes won't define me if I don't allow them to...they don't define my children...for they are Children of the King, claimed by someone so much bigger than their syndrome, their struggles, their conditions. As I lay my head down tonight, I want to feel my burdens lifted, my focus shifted...I want to define myself as not the bearer of burdens but the recipient of just enough grace, compassion and steadfastness to get through this day.
And when I wake up in the morning...I will start fresh and remind myself that there is nothing that God will ask of me tomorrow that He and I can not handle together...for His mercies are new every morning...
I am so blessed.